Skip to main content

Agile Delivery Experiences

I'm now in my second role in which I've had chance to introduce agile working practices to the team. In both roles the projects and applications developed under scrum have been successfully shipped and accepted by the business. The success of the deliveries has been measured by:

  • Functionality: The early visibility the business gained through the end of sprint demonstrations made sure that all the functionality the team developed stayed on track and provided exactly what the business wanted. There were no nasty surprises once the final code was shipped!
  • On Time: It is generally agreed that you can only have two of the following: quality, functionality and/or a "business set" ship date. The hardest lesson for a business to learn is that if it wants a set amount of functionality by a set ship date, then the only thing that can be modified by the team to meet the expectations is quality. Luckily in both instances everyone agreed that quality shouldn't be compromised and the business knew the functionality it needed, so the ship date was determined from our velocity and the story points for the desired functionality. In a couple of instances we didn't complete everything the team had committed to for a sprint, but the business was happy, because whilst the delivery did slip a sprint, they were confident it was within the team's ability to meet the goal.
  • Bug Free: Experience has shown that shipping the desired functionality on an agreed date is rare enough but after launch the applications have experienced an extremely low defect rate - I've never experienced this prior to switching to an agile development methodology. A TDD approach was used in both roles, but I really believe the benefit of TDD is in ongoing maintenance whilst the initial low defect count can be attributed to the scrum process.

I'm now looking forward to my next challenge/project to apply everything we've learnt in the past projects; hopefully with the same successes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mocking HttpCookieCollection in HttpRequestBase

When unit testing ASP.NET MVC2 projects the issue of injecting HttpContext is quickly encountered.  There seem to be many different ways / recommendations for mocking HttpContextBase to improve the testability of controllers and their actions.  My investigations into that will probably be a separate blog post in the near future but for now I want to cover something that had me stuck for longer than it probably should have.  That is how to mock non abstract/interfaced classes within HttpRequestBase and HttpResponseBase – namely the HttpCookieCollection class.   The code sample below illustrates how it can be used within a mocked instance of HttpRequestBase.  Cookies can be added / modified within the unit test code prior to being passed into the code being tested.   After it’s been called, using a combination of MOQ’s Verify and NUnit’s Assert it is possible to check how many times the collection is accessed (but you have to include the set up calls) and that the relevant cookies have …

Injecting HttpContextBase into an MVC Controller

It is a shame that when the ASP.NET MVC framework was released they did not think to build IoC support into the infrastructure. All the major components of the MVC engine appear to magically inherit instances of HttpContext and it’s related objects – which can cause no end of problems if you are trying to utilise Unit Testing and IoC. Reading around various articles on the subject just to get around this one problem requires the implementation of several different concepts and you are still left with a work around. The code below, along with the other links referenced in this article is my stab at resolving the issue. There’s probably nothing new here, but it does attempt to relate all the information needed to do this for Castle Windsor. The overview is that all controllers will need to inherit from a base controller, which takes an instance of HttpContext into it’s constructor. It then overrides the property HttpContext in the main controller class, supplying it’s own version…

Unit Testing Workflow Code Activities - Part 1

When I first started looking into Windows Workflow one of the first things that I liked about it was how it separated responsibilities. The workflow was responsible for handling the procedural logic with all it's conditional statements, etc. Whilst individual code activities could be written to handle the business logic processing; created in small easily re-usable components. To try and realise my original perception this series of blog posts will cover the unit testing of bespoke code activities; broken down into: Part One: Unit testing a code activity with a (generic) cast return type (this post)Part Two: Unit testing a code activity that assigns it's (multiple) output to "OutArguments" (Not yet written)So to make a start consider the following really basic code activity; it expects an InArgument<string> of "Input" and returns a string containing the processed output; in this case a reverse copy of the value held in "Input".namespace Ex…