Skip to main content

Getting back into Android development

After learning both iOS and Android development about 18 months ago we've not really had many enhancements needed in our mobile applications, with any changes just needing our existing knowledge. In reality this has probably meant my knowledge has actually decayed; which is a shame given the challenge of intially learning mobile development we went through. To try and remedy this; as a side project I'm looking to rebuild our existing application from scratch with an updated UI. Our current application is built using Eclipse and has a standardised screen for all format which only works in portrait mode. So as part of this work I want to "improve" the UI so it makes use of the additional real estate of larger screens and landscape mode. I also want to see how Android studio works to see if it is worth porting the application across and making that our standard Android IDE.

It's always fun starting out with a new, empty project. Typically you do hope that everything will just work, which wasn't the case this time around. Opening the new project displayed 3 errors; the first two were that the project requires Java 7 to be installed and that it should be compiled against JDK7. As I already had Java 8 installed; I did a quick dig around (a Google search) and found the following Stack Overflow article. So updated the path and that resolved the first errors. The next error occurred when trying to view the activity; which failed with an error "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: android.support.v7.appcompat.R$styleable". Again looking online I found this Stack Overflow article which solved the problem, for some reason the view wouldn't render when set to be the most recent API; backing it down sorted out the problems.

So now the project compiles and deploys to my device, let the fun begin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mocking HttpCookieCollection in HttpRequestBase

When unit testing ASP.NET MVC2 projects the issue of injecting HttpContext is quickly encountered.  There seem to be many different ways / recommendations for mocking HttpContextBase to improve the testability of controllers and their actions.  My investigations into that will probably be a separate blog post in the near future but for now I want to cover something that had me stuck for longer than it probably should have.  That is how to mock non abstract/interfaced classes within HttpRequestBase and HttpResponseBase – namely the HttpCookieCollection class.   The code sample below illustrates how it can be used within a mocked instance of HttpRequestBase.  Cookies can be added / modified within the unit test code prior to being passed into the code being tested.   After it’s been called, using a combination of MOQ’s Verify and NUnit’s Assert it is possible to check how many times the collection is accessed (but you have to include the set up calls) and that the relevant cookies have …

Injecting HttpContextBase into an MVC Controller

It is a shame that when the ASP.NET MVC framework was released they did not think to build IoC support into the infrastructure. All the major components of the MVC engine appear to magically inherit instances of HttpContext and it’s related objects – which can cause no end of problems if you are trying to utilise Unit Testing and IoC. Reading around various articles on the subject just to get around this one problem requires the implementation of several different concepts and you are still left with a work around. The code below, along with the other links referenced in this article is my stab at resolving the issue. There’s probably nothing new here, but it does attempt to relate all the information needed to do this for Castle Windsor. The overview is that all controllers will need to inherit from a base controller, which takes an instance of HttpContext into it’s constructor. It then overrides the property HttpContext in the main controller class, supplying it’s own version…

Problem installing AWS CLI

It never feels like a good start when you're trying to start out with something and the install fails with an obscure error! I was just trying to install the Amazon CLI following the instructions at https://aws.amazon.com/cli/ and ran into the following error when running 'pip install awscli': Collecting awscli Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement awscli (from versions: ) No matching distribution found for awscli I appeared to have a correct version of Python installed (v2.7) and checking "PIP -v" indicated that 9.0.1 was installed. That all seemed to tick the required boxes but digging around a little more I did see that some people had had issues with various versions of PIP so I found / ran the following to upgrade to the latest vesion: curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py python get-pip.py This installed v9.0.3 of PIP which burst into life when I re-ran 'pip install awscli' and everything seems to be ok. Like…