Skip to main content

Why do my Android Notification only appear in the status bar?

I'm definitely getting back into Android development, I'm remembering that feeling of 'Surely this should be easier than this!'. All I wanted to do was to schedule a local notification which behaved similar to a push notification pop-up. That is, as well as showing the small icon in the status bar I wanted it to pop up on screen to notify the end user. All seems fairly easily, I found this code for how to schedule a notification. That all worked perfectly, apart from the notification would only appear in the status bar. Searching around I found loads of different answers / solutions, mostly all saying the same thing:

  • It only worked if you used 'NotificationCompat.Builder' in place of 'Notification.Builder', or
  • You had to set the priority to 'NotificationCompat.PRIORITY_HIGH'

As usually happens, none of these solutions worked for me until I added in the missing piece of the jigsaw:- '.setDefaults(Notification.DEFAULT_ALL)'. For me this fixed the problem, the scheduled notification began to pop up on the desktop as expected! Looking into the Android documentation for this method nothing seemed to make sense as to why it would change the behaviour of the notification. As the documentation made reference to default sounds I replaced the call ".setDefaults(...)" with ".setSound(...)" and tried again. Again, the notification behaved as desired and appeared as a pop-up. Not making calls to either of these methods resulted in the notification reverted back the undesired behaviour of only appearing in the status bar. Adding either or both of these calls back in caused the desired behaviour. I'm still not completely sure why at the moment, but adding a sound to the scheduled notification sorted the problem out for me.

These 'pop-up' notifications are called “Heads-up” notifications and were introduced with Lollipop (v5.0).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mocking HttpCookieCollection in HttpRequestBase

When unit testing ASP.NET MVC2 projects the issue of injecting HttpContext is quickly encountered.  There seem to be many different ways / recommendations for mocking HttpContextBase to improve the testability of controllers and their actions.  My investigations into that will probably be a separate blog post in the near future but for now I want to cover something that had me stuck for longer than it probably should have.  That is how to mock non abstract/interfaced classes within HttpRequestBase and HttpResponseBase – namely the HttpCookieCollection class.   The code sample below illustrates how it can be used within a mocked instance of HttpRequestBase.  Cookies can be added / modified within the unit test code prior to being passed into the code being tested.   After it’s been called, using a combination of MOQ’s Verify and NUnit’s Assert it is possible to check how many times the collection is accessed (but you have to include the set up calls) and that the relevant cookies have …

Injecting HttpContextBase into an MVC Controller

It is a shame that when the ASP.NET MVC framework was released they did not think to build IoC support into the infrastructure. All the major components of the MVC engine appear to magically inherit instances of HttpContext and it’s related objects – which can cause no end of problems if you are trying to utilise Unit Testing and IoC. Reading around various articles on the subject just to get around this one problem requires the implementation of several different concepts and you are still left with a work around. The code below, along with the other links referenced in this article is my stab at resolving the issue. There’s probably nothing new here, but it does attempt to relate all the information needed to do this for Castle Windsor. The overview is that all controllers will need to inherit from a base controller, which takes an instance of HttpContext into it’s constructor. It then overrides the property HttpContext in the main controller class, supplying it’s own version…

Problem installing AWS CLI

It never feels like a good start when you're trying to start out with something and the install fails with an obscure error! I was just trying to install the Amazon CLI following the instructions at https://aws.amazon.com/cli/ and ran into the following error when running 'pip install awscli': Collecting awscli Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement awscli (from versions: ) No matching distribution found for awscli I appeared to have a correct version of Python installed (v2.7) and checking "PIP -v" indicated that 9.0.1 was installed. That all seemed to tick the required boxes but digging around a little more I did see that some people had had issues with various versions of PIP so I found / ran the following to upgrade to the latest vesion: curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py python get-pip.py This installed v9.0.3 of PIP which burst into life when I re-ran 'pip install awscli' and everything seems to be ok. Like…